Wednesday, May 16, 2007

When "One" Is Not Better Than Nothing

I have noticed a trend around me recently that people really believe that "one is better than nothing." I've decided that there a few things that really your better of with nothing than one. What I've seen most often is one shoe. One flip-flop--or "tropical" as they are known here--one tennis shoe, or oddly enough one women's dress sandal (that he borrowed from his sister in Malawi.) This cannot be comfortable. It also is the scene out of nightmares for me. Showing up at school with no shoes or one shoe. When you lose a shoe in the mud, Do you leave the other one on and keep walking? One glove is also a favorite, but there is an argument for that being better than nothing. *For the other hot styles from the streets and villages of Zambia read on!*

What is currently disturbing my life is only having one earphone of a pair. I can think of few things more annoying than one ear piece not working or not working well. Your listening experience is lopsided and it messes up the whole feng shui of you world. It's like when all of a sudden in the middle of the night time BBC news brief (when I'm cooking dinner and can't just up and readjust) that the station crackles and is replaced with Kenny G elevator music--and I briefly contemplate putting my hands to the flame to distract my rage. Also a rat/mouse chewed through one sock of my last nice pair of running socks. Can't run with just one, it throws the whole balance off, it could get dangerous.

One very bad book is also not better than none. *refer to previous post on abusive book relationships* I could make up my own stories and I could be the next JK Rowling--who I've heard has amassed roughly a billion dollars as a result of the series. (A billion dollars is 1000 millions just to put it in perspective :)

On to the "Top Ten Hot and on Top Things in Zambia Now"
10. Acid Washed Jeans
9. Fake Crocs
8. Mr. Price clothing retail store
7. Westlife
6. One glove
5. The phrase "that's powerful"
4. J. Daniel Buckland--University of North Dakota swimming elite
3. Alpha Bar
2. Dolly Parton's Greatest Hits
1. Kenny Roger's Greatest Hits

I've had an untold amount of car rides that end up as Kenny Rogers sing-a -longs. They love it here. They sell Kenny Rogers tapes at every junction and in every market across the country. To be honest I'm not really a fan of that particular piece of Americana, but I'd rather it be Kenny Rogers on top of the charts than 50 Cent (who is biting at Kenn's heals.)

So, that was fun. I'll try and do it again on Sunday perhaps. "Stay Classy World"

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Mmmm, steak. So I know a girl in Cleveland who was in Zambia w/ the Peace Corps. Reanna is her name, though I doubt I spelled it correctly. Short, blonde girl. Ring a bell? Hey, I'm sending you a package, is your address still the same or what? Reply via email or facebook or... carrier pigeon.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

email... that is... jason_jeannette@yahoo.com

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home